What is the name of the effect where every other frame is dropped and the remaining frames are duplicated?

Like this...

ABCDEFG   // 1: original
ACEG      // 2: every other frame deleted
AACCEEGG  // 3: remaining frames duplicated

Does Final Cut have this feature?

If not, how do I do this?

  • 1
    Thank you. I found some nice tutorials on the subject when searching for "strobe effect"/"strobe filter". Please create an answer with this in it (rather than a comment) so that I can accept it as the correct answer. Thanks again.
    – Nina
    Commented Feb 9, 2019 at 4:15
  • In After Effects it's called posterize time
    – stib
    Commented Feb 13, 2019 at 0:37

1 Answer 1


Back in the days of analog video, TBCs used to call that a strobe effect. It looks like Premiere has a strobe filter, but I don't know if it can be configured to do the freezing, instead of flashes.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.