I saw this cool effect that blends bubbles into each other, and the space that they are overlapping is transparent.
enter image description here

How can I achieve this effect in after effects?

1 Answer 1


You are interested in blending mode "Difference"

You can use it in "Blending mode" of layer, or on masks.

UPD: Adding screenshot, as asked enter image description here

Red — Mask Blending

Blue — Layer Blending

  • Do you mind taking on screenshot on how? Commented May 25, 2016 at 1:08
  • Screenshot added to the original answer.
    – Shultc
    Commented May 25, 2016 at 18:35

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.