Is it just to do with the image sensor tech of the time or is it a deliberate effect? What is it called?

A lot of music and pro videos shot during the 00s have that misty, glowing, saturated and grainless look throughout the entire videos, which you don't see any more.

Just a few prominent examples:

Usher - U Don't Have To Call -

Professional ad for a facial workout DVD -

Outkast - Hey Ya! -

Pussycat Dolls - Don't Cha -

1 Answer 1


I don't know how much of this contributes to the effect, but it seems that they are applying a blurred copy of the footage with very low opacity. Similar to this: http://digital-photography-school.com/4-easy-photoshop-techniques-to-make-your-pictures-pop

  • That is definitely quite similar, thanks for sharing. (Would upvote but I don't have enough reputation on here.) Dec 16, 2013 at 22:34
  • no problem, can't upvote you either because not enought reputation. I'll do when I have more Dec 16, 2013 at 23:12
  • and now I can! I hope you will get more details Dec 23, 2013 at 20:00

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.