I am using Windows 7 and trying to find a right application to get advanced features of the "[Ken Burns effect]", like pan and zoom. Unfortunately Photostory version in Windows 7 is not able to get effects. I have access to Photoshop in other computer

  • You can try the freely-available Lightworks, but beware - this is a cinema-grade piece of software and comes with a steep learning curve. Do you have to use Windows 7? If you have access to a Linux or Mac system, there are plenty of options. Windows... not so much.
    – Cal McLean
    Dec 16, 2013 at 0:52

3 Answers 3


Any software with keyframe support can do this. This answer provides a rough walkthrough of how you can accomplish the look you are describing with just keyframes and positioning/scale keyframes.


If you want a free and open-source option, ffDiaporama is quite good. It's mainly geared towards making photo slideshows (but allows for video too), which are rendered into a video file.

It supports doing Ken Burns effects (and any other transforms, using keyframes), and works pretty similarly to other video editors in that regard.

The UI may be a bit non-intuitive if you havn't used keyframeable video editors before, but it's pretty easy to use.

There's a video on how to do Ken Burns -style pan and zooms here.


Check out Lightworks' free version.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.