I've been considering whether to buy the 701HDV or the 502AH.

I've pretty much settled on the 502AH for its superior drag quality, but one thing a lot of people do not consider is the type of Quick Release (QR) plate they use.

The 701HDV and 501HDV both use the 501PL-type plate. The 502AH on the other hand uses 504PLONG plates, which are significantly bigger.

I have found out that you can use short plates on a "long" head by looking here, but I'm not sure if I can put long plates on a "short" head.

The reason I ask is that I have a few short plates left over from an older tripod that should fit in the 502AH, and if I buy a non-Manfrotto-branded QR adapter for something else, I can only find short plates.

So, can I use the long plate that comes with the 502AH with a short head or short QR adapter?

From looking at photos I can't see why not, but there's always a chance that it doesn't. Does anyone know for sure?


2 Answers 2


I have used the long plates on a shorter head. Using it from a larger tripod on the monopod with no problems.


Yes this will work fine. Many people prefer the longer plates because it allows you to balance a long lens.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.