OBS is awesome because of its many many versatile features. Sadly, at the same time it seems very rough around the edges, making it hard to get even basic things working.
I want to capture a portion of the screen. This seems very difficult, and never works out quite right. By comparison, when using QuickTime (on MAC), I don't get many other features, but at least I can just use the mouse to select a portion of the screen and start recording.
In OBS (on Windows), I try to do the following:
- Add a
Window Capturesource to the scene.
- Add a
- Guess and adjust the numbers needed for the
Crop/Padfilter to work. (Why can you not just select the area with the mouse? Why does it want numbers? It has that "mouse selection" feature in other places...)
- Now it comes out with black bars because, for some reason, the input does not match the output resolution or something?
- I have to manually adjust the output resolution width and height, for this to work.
- Also, when making certain changes, the originally nicely configured Crop filter suddenly moved everything ever so slightly, and the recorded area needs more manual adjustments.
- The most fun part: the next time I do it again, I have to do all these steps again.
Can this be just ever so slightly less involved? Maybe I'm just doing something completely wrong?