I recorded a 5 minute video with my phone, it is a 565M MP4 file. I need to submit it as MOV, specifically. All online converters reject the file as 'too large' and all downloadable programs cost at least $20, which I don't want to spend on a single file. Is there a (legal) way to do it? I'm using Windows 10 and have no access to a Mac.

  • 1
    ffmpeg is a free command line tool and can do it. Get executable files from ffmpeg.org/download.html
    – Gyan
    Commented Feb 15, 2020 at 12:43
  • You could try just changing the file extension. No, really; mp4 and mov are pretty much the same thing so this 'one weird trick' often works. But since you said "submit", don't rely on it without testing first.
    – stib
    Commented Feb 15, 2020 at 12:47

1 Answer 1


If you prefer a graphical user interface you can use the free MediaCoder for Windows.

In the Video Tab choose Format H.264.

Audio Tab > Format LC-AAC.

Container Tab > Container MOV.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.