I am looking for a specific voice effect that I have listened to in many videos on YouTube and other places. I don't know what it is called and it also does not sound natural. Here are examples -

Arpha Hub - Explainer Video

Addison Anderson

Ankit Arora

Do you notice the subtle 'errrrr'/crunchiness/vibration/distortion/robotic sound at the end of many words? I understand it may be difficult to understand by my explanation but hope someone recognizes it.

I would like to know if this effect has a name or something to search further into it or is there is a YouTube tutorial somewhere that I can follow, to begin with.

Any kind of pointers would help.

  • I think the sound you're talking about is "vocal fry'. I hate it like cancer personally, but whatever floats your boat.
    – stib
    Nov 28, 2019 at 6:00

1 Answer 1


This is not an effect, it's the way these people talk. Some people have a rather raspy voice, other a smooth one. There is no effect to make your voice more raspy, unfortunately.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.