I remember some old video editing programs used a grayscale image to be used as a transition pattern.

Basically what they did was using the different levels of a grayscale image as a step for the transition.

Here is an example. Given the first image, when the program was analyzing the gray level marked with the red line as a threshold, the transition would look like the image below.

enter image description here

Do you know if that can be done in a free program like Davinci Resolve, Hit Film, probably Blender?

And a tip of how can be implemented?

images by pixabay

1 Answer 1


What you want is called a Gradient Wipe in Premiere Pro or a Luma Fade in Davinci Resolve.

Just make sure your gradient image is a 3rd layer as long as your transition, and is selected as the 'gradient layer.'

(This should be a comment but I don't have enough karma to comment in this forum. Hope this helps :) )

  • 1
    No, in fact this is an answer, :o) Let me explore it and come back. Thanks.
    – Rafael
    Oct 8, 2019 at 14:52
  • 1
    I'd be interested in seeing a solution to this using FFmpeg. There is a way to merge two videos with a png mask and I'd assume it works with a video mask, but you'd still need a way to convert the single gradient image into an animated mask.
    – evn
    Oct 8, 2019 at 18:31

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.