More a terminology question than anything.

As described in the headline, I want to locate a piece of hardware that can accept arbitrary IP streams (be they MPEG-TS, H264, etc - the exact input format isn't important since re-encoding is easy), and can somehow output those streams over a coaxial cable (RF) in a way that a normal, off-the-shelf TV can tune to those streams in the same way they'd tune to a regular TV channel.

This is not a hardware recommendation question. I just want to know what this class of device is properly called so I can locate it myself.

1 Answer 1


There is no special name for something that combines IP de-encapsulation and RF modulating. At least one company markets the device as a QAM modulator with IP input.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.