What is the difference between a fishpole and a boom pole? I think I have heard the words interchangeably, but I really don't know the difference between the two.

1 Answer 1


To be honest, man, I've never heard anyone use the term 'fishpole' in regards to video/film production. Recording audio with a microphone that is connected to an extendable rod is called booming. There are people in the film industry who make a living solely from being a boom swinger. I think fishpole is just another word used for the same thing, although if someone referred to a boom pole as a fishpole onset they would probably get laughed at.

So yeah, unless you are getting filmmaking mixed up with the honorable profession of capturing sea-dwelling animals, I'd say there is no difference between the two.

  • Ok, I've seen it on several sites...can't remember where, but I have.
    – daviesgeek
    Aug 20, 2011 at 15:46

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.