Ok, so my workflow is around big files, these are sources from edutorial lectures, they weight a lot, one typical recording size is around 80 Gb.
I need to manage them, store and edit. My machine is 500 Gb SSD, 1 TB HDD and 25 TB network drive.
As I often need to edit many lectures, I copy them to my SSD or HDD for faster editing. Premiere can edit files directly from network drive, however, it has only 10 Mb/s access speed, so editing them is not very pleasant experience.
I have a great headache copying them around bothways. Everyday there are new recordings that need to be uploaded to the network drive, and there new lectures in queue for editing that are need to be copied locally. That would not be a problem, if not for the stupid Windows file copying software. Sometimes I accidentally close this dialog and then forget about what I was copying, sometimes it finds duplicates and messes me around.
So my question is if there any software that you use, that would allow setting directories for copying or moving bothways. Something like Google Drive would be ideal. It check automatically if the folder is uploaded, and if there is something missing, it uploads the rest.
I've taken a look on Robocopy (pre-installed Windows terminal tool), but I don't like with terminal interface that if there would be some action needed from me, I would not know. Also, I don't trust it working behind the curtains and doing something with my files. I would like something with GUI and status window, like Google Drive, again.
It would be nice, if it could:
- copy files from previously set queue
- pause or lower its speed on command for not interrupting me browsing this network drive
- check two directories for duplicates bit-by-bit
- scans specific directories (e.g. inserted media card) and copies them to the network storage with specific names and into the directory with today's date.
- be failsafe, that means if I turn off my machine, it would restore the queue and continue from the point it was broken
- have a nice GUI and a dialogs for viewing status and for resolving conflicts