I'm editing audio in Final Cut Pro X; I have exported the audio from Davinci Resolve because FCPX has a variety of equalizers and noise reduction built-in.

In this audio, I am talking but I occasionally smack my lips together and make other unpleasant sounds. So, I am trying to remove them as fast as possible.

I realize that there is no good way to automatically identify them, so I am listening to the track and, when I hear an unneeded sound, making four keyframes using ALT+K as shown in the photo:


This isn't too difficult to do but it is a little inconsistent for the following reasons:

  • After I make the four keyframes with the keyboard shortcut, I have to select the middle two keyframes to pull the audio down with the mouse, and making this selection is tricky sometimes even with the timeline zoomed in.
  • When I pull down the audio, it's usually about -30 db, but it's hard to precisely line up; when I do this several times per file, I am unlikely to make them all exactly the same. This probably isn't a big deal but it is inconsistent.
  • There's no way (I can tell) to copy-and-paste sets of keyframes.

Is there a faster way to do this, or is what I'm doing about as good as it gets?

1 Answer 1


There are 2 methods that might help with this.

  1. Press the I and O keys to mark a range around the audio you want to fix. Then press CTRL+OPT+L and type a number value for the amount you want to the audio to drop (eg:-60db)
  2. Make your keyframes, select them, then OPT+SHIFt+C to copy them, then OPT+SHIFT+V to paste them where you need them.

Method 1 is probably more flexible as you can customise the range if need be.

Method 1

Method 2

  • Thanks, it's much faster to make the keyframes with in-out points and then adjust the curve/handles manually than to do all of them with ALT+K. Commented Mar 5, 2017 at 4:30

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.