I currently am the Video guy for our company. We do video training for installs for automotive parts. I do the planning for the videos. I do the shooting of the videos. I do the editing of the videos. I do the final release of the videos.
My boss wants a report about the amount of time it should be taking me to do this. Its a fair question and I'm all about self improvement and figuring out where I can do my job more effectively, especially if it will help me get a raise or move up in the company. My question comes from the amount of time I should be allotting for the start to completion for a video. Its not my only job, but it is about 30-35 hours a week, so a huge portion.
So how much time should I be allotting for start to finish of a video. I have put together several of the parameters bellow.
SO lets assume I was going to release a 10 minute video on YouTube.
- I do my planning for the different shots I'm going to need.
- I work with our other guy who is the "Host" or "Talent" on screen to get together what he needs to cover.
- We start shooting, We do about 3 hours of shooting/installing, giving me what I need to work from.
- I start editing the video, I join the audio, I sort through the footage, Pick all the different pieces I'm going to use, Cut in each scene (Which is rather easy because we shoot in consecutive order of the build), Lay in the intro & outro graphics, Lay the sound effects/background music (Which is typically most of the video and the same), Export the video, Make any suggestions/changes from the installers, Build the video thumbnails.
- I upload the completed video to YouTube, add to other website locations, send an email its been release, write any type of descriptions/keywords.
Now I know how long I'm spending on each video roughly, its about 2-3 weeks time per video, and sometimes even more than that. I have about 4 years of experience doing this. I also know that it varies from person to person based on skill. I do have plenty of room for improvement, I know that. How long SHOULD it take me to complete a project like this? Am I in the ball park? Am I running really slow? Or am I doing good for my time frame?