Is there any existing filter/effect, that will automatically mask out the unsharp area of my footage?

Let's say I have an object in focus and a lot of depth of field. How do I show only my sharp object?

1 Answer 1


As you may know from 3d packages depth information can be represented by a 2d Depth Map:

enter image description here

In therory it's possible to detect the defocused area of an image via depth estimation methods and generating a depth map using this information. The algorithm splits up the image by finding all relevant edges, analizes the gradient values and compare these areas with each other. I doubt that this is accurate enough for every shot, but could work in some cases. One of the latest papers, you can find here: http://www.sjzhuo.net/defocusEstimation/

AFAIK there is only one available plugin for After Effects at the moment: http://www.yuvsoft.com/stereo-3d-technologies/automatic-depth-estimation/, but since this process is becoming increasingly important for stereoscopic workflows, it's a matter of time when more tools will become available.

  • 1
    thanks a lot man! Really interesting topic. I will give the plugin a shot and let you know if it worked for me:) thanks @poor Oct 10, 2015 at 17:57
  • @SlimMarten You're welcome! Ok, great - keep me posted!
    – p2or
    Oct 11, 2015 at 6:07

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.