animation on film

Is there a specific name for this technique? so I can search for tutorials about it.

  • Don't know the name if there is one. I'd suggest to load the clip into photoshop, because you've got most control about the brush settings. Alternatively blenders new grease pencil is fun to play with: vimeo.com/113610809.
    – p2or
    Jun 24 '15 at 7:52
  • I want to achieve that kind of animation that the 2D objects are "on" the video. Take an animated character on the shoulder of an actor (so it moves with movements of the actor). After Effects can do this (really time consuming in Photoshop), but I don't know what I have to look for.
    – Farzad
    Jun 24 '15 at 12:31
  • I understand what you mean, will write some instructions as soon as I can.
    – p2or
    Jun 24 '15 at 14:22

The technique is classically called rotoscoping after the original process done using projected film. If you google rotoscoping in after effects you should find lots of samples and tutorials.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.