when using magic bullet looks on a video it applies - alongside color corrections and such - a frame, some sort of wrapping mask thingy - a black outline for the video the gives the center a bit more focus. You can see it pretty clearly here:

enter image description here

I want a png of that. Just that. I am searching Google for all kinds of word combinations but nothing. What is this effect called??

1 Answer 1


it's a vignette. Here's a tutorial on how to do it.

If you add a black solid layer to a comp, then feather the edges, and invert the mask, you'll get the basic effect. Beyond that, some people used coloured solids (e.g. just off-black in one colour or another). You can also apply a blur or defocus effect towards the edges of the image, if that's the look you're going for.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.