Unlike, for example, Zoom H5 which is shipped in a rock-solid plastic box, Rode VideoMic Pro is shipped in a cheap plastic piece which holds it in the box. The piece is much bigger than the microphone and is difficult to handle, since its only purpose is to be used during the original shipping.
Since I need to transport the microphone in my bag, one of the concerns is that I can't just put it directly in the bag together with lenses and camera, because it is too fragile for that.
What I have tried:
- I went to nearly every supermarket in the town, searching for the box of appropriate size with no success.
- I searched on Rode website; they doesn't sell any boxes for their microphones.
- B&H accessories don't contain anything related to transport.
- A search on Amazon was also unsuccessful.
- Companies which make custom-sized boxes are mostly centered on large boxes for shipping or storage. There is MyCaseBuilder which is great, but I live in Europe, so $50 shipment plus taxes is too expensive.
I hardly doubt I'm the first one encountering this issue. How other people solved it?
The original packaging of Rode VideoMic Pro looks like this:
By comparison, here's a box for Zoom H5: