Over the years I collected many movies in different container formats (avi, mp4, mkv) and encoded with different codecs too.
Now want convert containers (or transcode them if absolutely necessary) to "iPhone compatible" movies.
After spending long time on google, still didn't know exact answers to the next questions - so, please confirm them or please give the right answers
- iPhone can play only mp4 container format - so the
mp4is the only usable container for iPhone movies
- In what codecs can be the streams? (video/audio and subtitles)
- Is possible embedd "SOFT" subtitles to mp4 container? (what i read - yes, but here is some pitfalls) - mean soft subtitles, so not "burned them into the video stream".
What is the right logic to convert/transcode movies from different formats to wanted iPhone compatible format? My idea is roughly:
- fetch information from the current movie - e.g. from avi container
- if the
used codecsand the used
video resolutionis compatible with iPhone (like h264), only change the container format, otherwise
transcode the movie, with:
if the current movie has smaller resolution, don't change - only transcode
- if the current movie has higher resolution, change it's resolution proportionally to match the iPhone needs
All above want do from command line on Mac OS X - so, with ffmpeg or mencoder and like. (please, don't suggest me batch conversions with not-command line app)
The questions are mainly about the
whole workflow, what are the most common pitfalls, recommendations and etc.
Would be happy with some external links to some good articles about the above.
This is my 1st question here, and I hope it is OK with right-question-type on this site:
- post-production techniques
- asset management, media, and file formats
- installation, configuration, and operation of hardware or software related to these topics