In documentaries / semi-documentaries and even fake documentaries there's often text that comes on at the end showing some facts fading in and out, or where the people are now (depending on subject).

Is there a term for this element of a video? I tried searching for "end text in documentary" but couldn't really find anything except actual credits.

  • I don't recall a formal cine term for this, but traditionally in literature an "epilogue" would serve the same purpose.Perhaps "epitaph", or some fused term I just made up "epiText".
    – filzilla
    Commented Feb 4, 2014 at 23:48

1 Answer 1


This might even be more on-topic at English.SE, but as far as I'm concerned that's definitely called an epilogue.

From Wikipedia:

In many documentaries and biopics, the epilogue is text-based, explaining what happened to the subjects after the events covered in the film.

  • Hmm feel like I should've known that. Do you know if filmmakers use any term for the design of this section? I tried searching youtube for documentary epilogue and still only find music. I'm trying to find examples of different styles to get a better idea of what I think is most effective.
    – Ryan
    Commented Feb 5, 2014 at 13:54

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.