I want to transfer a set of old home video tapes recorded on a Sanyo VM-D66P. I do not have access to the camcorder anymore need to buy a camcorder that will play them so I can capture it via USB. The manual unfortunately does not make it clear precisely the type of tapes that it used.
The instruction manual gives the following hints:
- Television System: PAL, CCIR
- Video recording system: Rotating 2-head helical-scan FM, color under system
- Audio recording system: Rotating head FM system
- Cassette type: 8mm video tape cassette
- Tape speed: SP: 20.051 mm/sec
- Tape speed: LP: 10.025 mm/sec
- Recording/playback time: 180 minutes (P5-90 cassette)
After looking through the 8mm video format wikipedia page, I have come to the weary conclusion that the VM-D66P used the standard "original Video8 (analog recording) format". Does this sound correct? And does this mean I can use any Video8-compatible camcorder to play back the VM-D66P tapes?