Video Production Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for engineers, producers, editors, and enthusiasts spanning the fields of video, and media creation. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I hope I'm in the right forum for this question!

Basically, I'm trying to create this effect, where the camera zooms in on Simba's face and the background seems to zoom in at a different pace.

I'd like to know, first, what this effect is called. I want to see if I can recreate it in the opposite way. So basically, I want to make it seem like I'm zooming out in the same way this effect is zooming in.

Second, I'd like to know where I can find out how to do this. I'm really a complete n00b at filming and I don't have any fancy filming material, just a basic camera that can record. I'd love some suggestions. :) Thanks a ton!

share|improve this question
your lion king video (it was, I recall from memory iirc) link is gone (trolled by copyright trolls). could you link another example or make a gif? (if possible, would be big extra, be it creative commons lic-ed, which helps protect against stealing away our rights of fair use by big companies and their harm against humanity and the environment..) – n611x007 Jul 21 '13 at 10:24
up vote 7 down vote accepted

It's called a dolly zoom, and you achieve it by moving the camera towards your subject and zooming out at the same time (or moving away and zooming in).

share|improve this answer
YES! Thank you so much!! It was driving me nuts to know what it was, haha. – Jessica Stanley Nov 3 '12 at 13:20

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.