Video Production Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for engineers, producers, editors, and enthusiasts spanning the fields of video, and media creation. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Can anyone help me find a software stack for doing near real time video encoding/transcoding?

I want to allow users to upload videos(wmv, avi, mov, flash video, other formats) to my website. As soon as the file is uploaded, I want to encode/transcode it into h.264 (preferably with an API so I can get progress percentage etc) so that I can then play it back via html5 or a flash player.

Anyone have any guidance for me on this?

Oh, and the server platform can be either windows or linux.

share|improve this question

FFMPEG is what you're looking for. You can use it to transcode most anything, it can easily be integrated via STDIO, and there are a handful of library versions of it you can use as well.

I'd recommend hopping over to, where this topic has been heavily discussed.

share|improve this answer

I am guessing that mplayer and vlc are where you want to start lookIng.

share|improve this answer offers cloud-based high-speed conversion. Their standard plans aren't instant (up to 30 minute queue time), but they do offer encode-as-you-upload (meaning that they start encoding during the upload process, which is awesome).

You'll need to contact them for more info and pricing on that.

Be aware: What you're wanting to do is both complex and expensive unless you hire someone, in which case it's just expensive (assuming your website becomes anywhere near popular).

share|improve this answer

You could look into MediaTomb it runs on linux. I use it for real time transcoding to my direcTv box and PS3

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.