Take the 2-minute tour ×
Video Production Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for engineers, producers, editors, and enthusiasts spanning the fields of video, and media creation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I'm trying to find someone who can make videos similar to one shown here:

At 49 seconds, the actress writes on glass to explain the concept.

Does someone know what this effect is called so I know what to ask for?

Also, if you know how to do this sort of thing, please reply.

Thanks so much,

share|improve this question
please update your profile with your website - would like to get in touch. –  James Jehar Oct 19 '11 at 1:22
you have my email under my account... –  Desmond Oct 19 '11 at 13:45
Desmond, sorry couldn't see your email address - I might not have had enough privilege. –  James Jehar Oct 20 '11 at 10:54
You could always have her write on actual glass in front of the screen and then flip horizontal. –  NReilingh Nov 18 '11 at 4:15
@claws Exactly like that. I prefer the flipped actual writing--it's probably easier for the actor as well. Also it reminds me of this. –  NReilingh Aug 6 '12 at 22:55

3 Answers 3

There is a much better way to do that. That example video is a pretty poor illusion.

  1. It can be done "for real" with with real light. But it looks different. It has to be dark.
  2. You can use motion tracking to create an animation path.
  3. You can also use manual key frames. There are lots of tutes on the intertubes about that. Here is one:
share|improve this answer
+1 for "tutes on the intertubes" –  Friend Of George Jan 17 '12 at 14:41

We do this in post, and we can call this "the write on screen/glass effect", we can track her finger and write out what she is writing in the air...and more...

share|improve this answer
More like pretending she is writing and pretending you are tracking! ;) –  horatio Oct 18 '11 at 17:14
indeed, but hey, we ll get some negative points for joking around without a solution... :P –  Desmond Oct 18 '11 at 17:30

Upon closer examination of the sample video, she is not writing what you are seeing, her movement only approximates the motion and if you look close enough you can see it is a mime--take a good look at the "E". She is not moving correctly to get that "E". I don't know what resources you have to work with, but if you want to copy this technique you need to have 2 things:

1) an actor that can closely mimic the correct motion as if she/he is really writing. 2) a good post production video editor so you can animate the writing content on a separate video track and make a composite.

Hope this helps

ps, by the way I think the actor in your example did a marvelous job of miming the motion to trick us into believing she was actually writing the text on glass.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.