Video Production Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for engineers, producers, editors, and enthusiasts spanning the fields of video, and media creation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I've got 20 or so text items in my timeline, all using a text template called Bookmark that I created in Motion. I want to modify the text template in Motion and have the changes propagate through to each of the text items that are already in the timeline. Is that possible?

I'm using Final Cut Pro 10.1.2 and Motion 5.1.1.

share|improve this question
I found documentation that shows how to make this work in FCP v.7, but FCP v.10 doesn't work the same way:… – nelstrom Jul 2 '14 at 7:54
I found this page discussing the problem you're having, and a potential workaround, but I couldn't get it to work in 10.1.2 – Jason Conrad Jul 2 '14 at 12:59
up vote 3 down vote accepted

Unfortunately, that isn't currently supported. Your text items will preserve the state from when they were first added. So you're stuck doing it manually. It's number 4 on the list of top requested features for the next update though and Apple seems to be aware of this site, or they've just been reading minds the last few updates-

One thing that has helped me though is that you can drag your new Motion titles on top of the old ones already on your timeline, hit "replace", and it should retain the original text of the old title.

share|improve this answer
As well as the drag, drop, and replace workflow that you described, I found that it's also possible to click an existing title in the timeline, then double click the corresponding template in the browser to replace the old styles with the new ones while preserving text. – nelstrom Jul 12 '14 at 8:04

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.