Video Production Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for engineers, producers, editors, and enthusiasts spanning the fields of video, and media creation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What is the name of the device used in live action filming that includes information like scene, take and roll and has a part that can snap together?

It can also include information like production name, date, cameraman, director, timecode, etc.

enter image description here

share|improve this question

It is clapperboard:

used in filmmaking and video production to assist in the synchronizing of picture and sound, and to designate and mark particular scenes and takes recorded during a production

share|improve this answer
also known as a slate – Jason Conrad Jun 23 '14 at 16:26
I've also heard the term "clapboard" in film school. (Might have been student slang.) – BrettFromLA Jun 23 '14 at 17:38

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.