Video Production Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for engineers, producers, editors, and enthusiasts spanning the fields of video, and media creation. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What is the name of those colour test screens at the beginning of videos? I've used it before in Final Cut Pro but I forget what it's called.


share|improve this question
up vote 6 down vote accepted

Never mind. Found the answer. It's called "Color Bars".

To be precise...

SMPTE Color Bars
SMPTE Bars are "split field" bars composed of:
**Frame Height (Approx)**       **Type of Bars**
Top 67%                     Standard EIA 75% amplitude white bars
Next 8%                     Reverse blue bars
Lower 25%                       Pluge signal

enter image description here source

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.